Last Game

February 22nd6:00 pm
W, 7-2Recap

Upcoming Games

February 26th7:00 pm
February 29th7:05 pm

Ads Fall in Shoot-out to Barons

Milwaukee, WI– The Admirals lost 3-2 in a shoot out against the Oklahoma City Barons at the BMO Harris Bradley Center Saturday night.

The Ads led 2-0 through two periods of play courtesy of a Victor Bartley power-play goal and a Kevin Henderson shorthanded goal. However, the Barons league leading power-play unit overwhelmed the Ads in the third period and took the game all the way to a shoot out – where former UW standout Justin Schultz won it for the Barons.

The Ads opened the scoring up in the first period with a power-play goal from Victor Bartley. Taylor Beck sent a near cage pass to a wide open Chris Mueller. From there, Mueller passed the puck across the mouth of goal to find Bartley charging hard to the net – chipping it in for his fifth goal of the season.

While the Barons were surging, amassing 21 shots on net through two periods, it was the Ads who found the quality scoring chances. After a delay of game penalty put Scott Valentine in the box, the Ads tallied their second goal of the game on special teams – this time coming shorthanded.

After a communication breakdown behind the net between Barons goalie Olivier Roy and Schultz – Kevin Henderson dive-bombed on the error, took control of the loose puck, and slide it under the scrambling netminder. It was the Ads third shorthanded goal of the season and was almost followed immediately up by another on the same penalty kill. As both teams were in the midst of a change, Mueller flew in on a shorthanded breakaway chance – only to be denied by a flashy glove save from Roy.

In the third period, Michael Latta was sent to the box after receiving a double-minor for high sticking. The Ads penalty killing unit nearly outlasted the Barons but a one-time rocket from Taylor Hall found the twine and ended Jeremy Smith’s shutout bid.

The Barons continued their PP dominance with an equalizing goal from Jordan Eberle. The build up play preceding the goal was a lightning fast cycle of passes on the perimeter that allowed Eberle to find space for a one-timer. He capitalized instantly and extended his AHL league lead in points (51) and goals (25).

Regulation ended in a 2-2 deadlock. With the ice opened up for the four-on-four OT period, the Ads nearly closed the game out with Mark Van Guilder. As defenseman Jonathon Blum cleared the zone, the rolling puck fell inline with Van Guilder heading up ice on a breakaway. He faked a slap shot and attempted to go five-hole. The puck nearly squirted through for an overtime winner but was kept out by Roy.

The game finally was decided in a shoot out which lasted six rounds. Austin Watson scored the lone shoot out goal for the Ads and the game winning goal went to Schultz.

While he may not have earned the win, Jeremy Smith continued his spectacular form in net for the Ads. The shoot out loss snaps a six game winning streak for Smith who had 35 saves in tonight’s game – including 4-6 shoot out chances.

The Ads will have an opportunity tomorrow to rebound instantly. They’ll be playing against the Grand Rapids Griffins tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 pm at the BMOBC. From there, the Ads will play a road game Friday night against the Peoria Rivermen before returning home for games on Saturday and Sunday.

Be sure to follow the Admirals on Twitter (@mkeadmirals) and on Facebook.

Admirals Sponsors

164-potawatomi 28-milwaukeehilton 204-aurorasportshealthvertical 18-lee 157-mgic 112-baird